Monday, July 27, 2009

Planter project

On a recent trip to the Del Mar fair, GM and I saw some cedar wood planters that we thought would be fun to have. And perhaps necessary, as I have found that there is a phenomenon that occurs as you get older whereby the ground beneath you is actually farther than it was when you' were younger. Honest! It's true, you'll see. So by having some of these planters, you can garden without actually bending over. Of course I had to bend over 10 or 12 thousand times to build it, but that doesn't count.
Anyway, I went on-line and found some planters (www.simplyplanters.com/search/index.cfm?Ntt=cedar&Ntk=all&source=googleaw&kwid=Cedar planters&tid=exact), but after looking at the pictures, decided to just build one from scratch. Men are like that. It's the same thing like asking for directions. Men get tools, buy wood and stuff, and can quite easily create an inferior product for 2 or 3 times the cost of what you could have bought it for. Not including the cost of all the tools we need.
So being a man who takes pride in adhearing to the whole man code, I made 3 trips to the lumber yard and Home Depot (of course) to gather the required materials (men are hunters and gatherers!). I did not actually know what all the materials were, of course, as I didn't want to waste precious time making a plan (another man code).
Anyway, I had some time to kill Sunday after Church and thought I'd get started. Well despite it being 100° outside, all-in-all it went rather smoothly and I actually completed it (well sort of, I want to add a shelf underneath, but.....)
GM and I went to the Home Depot and purchased the planting mix Monday (today) and, after finding a place to put the thing, which I had not given any previous thought to (another man thing), planted some beets. GM loves beets and has already consumed the batch she recently canned.
All's well that ends well, just don't ask me for the plans!



















4 comments:

  1. Looks awesome. . . I could use a planter like that too. . . I am getting old but I wouldnt fill mine with beets! YUCK!! Good job building pops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that planter looks great - I would have thought it was store bought had I not seen the picture evidence with my own eyes! I think I agree with Bonnie - I think I would like one too - but no beets would be planted for sure! Maybe just watermelons and tomatoes and a few cucs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jody and Tate have this lady in their ward who has her whole garden in square box planters. She loves it. Maybe one day you could talk to Jody and she will introduce you to the lady and maybe you could go see how it all works. I have thought about how much I would rather stand or sit on a normal height chair and pull weeds rather than bend over and get stiff knees and back. Plus when pulling the weeds I would just dedicate myself to a box a day and could keep up. I totally enjoyed your "man- explanations". You are completely right about the man's approach. It is baffling and hilarious and annoying and mostly annoying because somehow you guys find a way to succeed. If I proceeded like a man I would never finish anything. Well done. Love, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited I found this :) Well, it wasn't all that hidden, on Bonnie's page. But it could have been any grandma and grandpa. None the less, I opened it and am glad I did. Fun posts! Ben over plans everything, and still ends up going to Home Depot 3 times a day when he is in the middle of a project. Which is a constant state of affairs now with the house :) I'm jealous of all your back yard grub, we tried the square foot garden thing.... not much to show for it. We'll have to commit better next year and clear some real room in the ground. Well, keep up the great adventures :)

    ReplyDelete