Sunday, April 10, 2011

Batter Up!

In a seamlessly unending series of backyard projects, the latest is a batting cage.
A few Saturdays ago at Cayden's little league game, a company was selling , balls, bats, gloves, and, you guessed it, batting cages. Well using judgment reserved for Grandpas, I arranged to have one shipped to our house.
It's 40' long and 10' wide so I went home to measure first. I knew it was going to be close, but plowed ahead. The first adventure was setting it up.


Cayden surveys box in the garage.


We start by layng 4 - 10'poles to be sure it will fit. I guess it's a little late now.


Then we put the top together.

We now have one one set of legs (10' tall) and the pieces that go across the top.

We nearly gave up for the evening when we couldn't figure how to raise the other side and insert the other 10' legs, but a little Kelly engineering and we came up with a system using 2 x 4's to push it up.




With the frame complete, we unfold the net and install it


Grand Ma takes some hacks

Shawna tries to get her form back from softball days

Aubrey is a natural

Cayden feeds pitching machine

Batter up, Molly


Let me out of here!
We bought the cage from a place called Monkey Sports - no comment please

Well we still haven't selected a 'real' pitching machine yet, but will soon. In the mean time I thing the cage will be getting a big workout as everyone comes home for spring break.
Come on by and hit a few.

3 comments:

  1. SSWWWEEEEEEETTTT!!!!!!! I will be there as soon as possible. You are the best grandpa! Love you guys. Debi

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are as good as a cook book with picture directions. You are a good grandpa. I hope to be able to hit a few in a couple of months... there is always a reason for me to come visit. I want to see Cayden hit a few. Love, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry I missed this post. . . . and where was I on family batting day?? The awesome cage got lots of use today :)

    ReplyDelete