Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day '12

I'm usually not such a procrastinator, and had good intentions for Valentine's day this year.  It wasn't that I wasn't planning on it, but looking back I now realize I was just stupid.  A few years back they opened an Edible Arrangements store near our shop.  That's really cool because it's easier to go in there and select something than doing it on the Internet, plus there's no shipping costs.  Well I have used the place a few times and planned on it for this years V day.  I just figured I'd cruise on in there the day before and order something, right?  We'll I went there on the morning of the 13th and was surprised to see that there were no customers there.  I've been to See's Candy the day or two before a holiday and there was always a line, but no problem.  We'll it completely escaped my thought process that this was a different deal. It also didn't occur  to me that these items are much more perishable than candy, and are made to order.  Lastly, I usually use this place for birthdays, anniversaries, and such, and don't believe I've gone there for a day when many, many people had the same idea.
I walked into the place and there was a very nervous man behind the counter.  I remarked that I was very surprised to be the only one there.  He said "I hope you're not here for Valentine's day"  Oops, my first hint of a problem.  He went on to explain that they start taking orders for V day "THE DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING".  Oops again.  In retrospectI'm SURE the guy was thinking "What kind of clown waltzes into a place like this the day before a major wife-gift-kinda-day and thinks he can just belly up to the bar and get want he wants?"
So next year, see you on Black Friday!
The funny thing was, I confessed to Grandma later that day while we were on our daily walk.  She cracked up and told me that she had done the very same thing, although when she was there, there were two other women there also.  I can't imagine how much last minute business they must turn away, but it must be a ton.  The man was nervous because he explained he didn't even know if he could fill all the orders he had.
So the picture above shows the replacement.  Luckily, Escondido is home to one of the world's greatest donut shops, Perterson's, better known as the 9th ave donut shop.  I KNEW they wouldn't let me down, but I did get the apparent last giant heart donut they had in the window.
I'll do better next year.
Love you Grandma!!!  Happy Valentine's day!
 

5 comments:

  1. this made me and tate laugh out loud! so funny that you had the same thought.
    jody

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha love it! That man is crazy - I would jack up the prices and take every order I could get!!! I am pretty jealous of the donut though - that thing looks DELICIOUS! Happy Valentine's day Dad! (and Mom too!) Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowsers. . . maybe next year I will go and offer to help work during the holiday there. Them we could learn exactly how to make them so adorable at home. Heard you had an awesome chocolate fountain fun last night. Thanks for watching the kiddos. Happy Valentines Day to the very bestest parents

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least youu tried... Terry used to get me new walking shoes for Valentines Day... not any more... no more Valentine's gifts for me. Last year I said to him, "Are you going to take me to get my Valentine's shoes?" He just said, "No." Obviously I have screwed up somewhere and I don't know where so no more Valentine's gifts for me. I still give him a gift though. I believe in all opportunities for giving gifts. Be happy. Great post... so funny. Love, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww man. . . someone needs to get Gail some new walking shoes! :(

    ReplyDelete