Friday, May 14, 2010

Happy Birthday Grandma!

Good things (and bananas) come in bunches. GM's birthday comes very quickly after mothers day, in fact, when the stars are aligned just right, they actually occur on the same day!
Well not this year. We had a few days between mothers day and the birthday to prepare our traditional GM birthday celebration.
Know one remembers how it started, but for years now the tradition is to get TONS of Chinese food and then have presents and cake. It's weird because it is usually the only day of the year that we get take-out Chinese food. By the way - do you know what they call Chinese food in China? See the end of the blog for the answer.
The party actually started at CJ's little league game, where besides getting 3 hits, he started a triple play by catching a fly ball and throwing out the first of two base runners that couldn't get back to base.
We then went home and waited for Bonnie to show up with the food and cake.

The small box of Chinese food arrives.

Bonnie set a cute table.


What to eat first?


It's all so yummy!


Everyone digging in.


Into the family room for presents. Bonnie and the kids did a "beach theme" of gifts.
GM received a folding beach chair with a big pocket in the back for goodies. The whole thing folds up into a neat back pack. Which was also filled with beach related goodies (and some salad dressing from CJ - go figure).


Aubs and mom watch from the safety of the couch. CJ runs amuck.


Some of GM's goodies.




By the way, Grandpa is taking Grandma to see Elton John in concert. Of course, none of the kids know who he is.
Thanks and group hugs.



Yummy cake!

Answer to joke "food" - I'm a going to be a great custodian some day (ask GM about that one)

5 comments:

  1. Great birthday post... we never do anything special on my birthday. You know, it was always you and I, Lee, that planned the special events. Terry and Michelle are neither party people. And although Debi doesn't mind attending parties, she doesn't really relish planning or preparing for them and besides she lives in Virginia. And Steve, he doesn't mind parties either, but planning one is definitely out of his league and he lives in Washington. So my only kid that might bother with birthday party planning is Jody and she lives in San Diego. So, you should definitely consider yourself lucky and well celebrated. I could at least start a tradion of Chinese food take out for my birthday. I would like that, too. And as a counter to Jim's deep question about what the Chinese call Chinese food in China... here is another stumper... What do the Chinese call our food in China? (you know like McDonalds food or BK...besides poison?) Happy Birthday, Lee. Way to go family at celebrating the great "Mom". Love, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Lee! It looked like you had a lot of fun. My mom can feel in good company when her birthday comes along. I do get phone calls but my birthday won't consist of much. I will probably get a nice drawing from Loni and plenty of hugs from Ada. Ada may not know why. Maybe I will order myself some chinese food! Good job posting Jim. I love them all. I am glad that Mothers Day and Lees Birthday came on different days, it meant getting a post sooner than expected! Love ya Debi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am bummed I keep missing out on these awesome Kelly festivities :( Happy Birthday, Mom! Hope it was fabulous!!! At the beginning of the month when I was doing my May calendar I noted moms b-day of course and informed Bryan that we would be going out to chinese food on the 14th to celebrate mom because we couldnt be there in person. Well - as the evening rolled around I decided I was much more in the mood for Chilis soup - so we went there instead - but mom was definitely still in our thoughts during dinner :) Thanks for giving us a reason to go out to celebrate! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Lee!!! We celebrated Tate's birthday yesterday by going out to dinner and the funny thing is he got a chair too. Although I got him a camping chair (that could be used at the beach too.) The cake looked really yummy. Where did you get it? Tell Cayden, I wouldn't mind salad dressing for a birthday gift. :) Lee's really lucky!
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  5. ummm, did you really post us singing?? thanks dad!! and apparently me and you are good party doers pops :)

    ReplyDelete